I’ll cut to the chase on this post: My workout routine has been pretty sad for the past 2+ years, and this isn’t one of those exaggerations to try and make it sound like it’s worse than it is. I really mean 2+ years, not 2+ months. After college, when I was interning at an agency, I would go to 5:30 a.m. workout classes 2-3 times a week, making sure I was walking and staying active outside of the gym as well. That routine abruptly stopped once I started teaching and then I never got back into it when I returned to the agency. I still have yet to figure out a schedule after starting a new job.
I should also note that I quickly learned my freshman and sophomore years of college, that I couldn’t eat like I did throughout high school. I had previously Irish danced about four times a week and was fortunate to have a high metabolism. My eating habits were awful. We’re talking rush home from dance to get a double cheeseburger and cheese curds from Culver’s before they closed at 10 p.m. kind of awful. I also didn’t eat vegetables until I went to college. I definitely eat better these days, but I don’t limit anything from my diet. My dad always says everything in moderation which I really agree with. If I attempt to cut chocolate out of my diet, I will go Matilda-style on an entire chocolate cake.
With all of that in mind and knowing I need to get my butt in gear, I thought I’d share a few things I try to be mindful of when I know I’m not working out as much as I would like to. I like to think of these as easy lifestyle changes that don’t take much effort on my part.
- When I go out to eat, I typically take half of the dish home and enjoy as leftovers the next day.
- Instead of meeting a friend for a drink, meet and go on a walk. I love this one, especially when it’s about to get warmer in the Midwest. Plus, it’s better for your bank account, too!
- Park further away from a store when you’re running errands or park a level up in the parking structure. Along those same lines, take the stairs when you can.
- I’m definitely not reinventing the wheel on this one, but drink more water! Half of the time my body thinks it’s hungry, I swear I just need to drink a big glass of water.
- If you’re a snacker like me, I have a snack drawer at work and make sure I have something in my purse just in case. I go from 0-hangry in no time, and it’s not pretty (ask Bill or my sister). And when I reach that point, I want a plate of nachos, not fruit. I love making these energy bites. I have one right when I wake up in the morning and when I hit my afternoon slump at work (ugh, 2 p.m.).
Onto the outfit. These leggings are meant to be really tight, but when I tried them on in my regular lululemon size 4, I felt like I couldn’t breathe so I sized up and like the fit. I have loved lululemon for awhile now. I actually worked in their showroom in Madison, WI my senior year of college plus I lived in their pieces when I was training and touring for Irish dance. They got me through 12+ hour rehearsal days and long show and travel days so in my opinion, they’re worth the investment. I got Bill this pair of sweats for his birthday, and I think I officially converted him. I’m going to order them in gray since he wears them so frequently.
Bill and I are both trying to get back into a workout groove. We attempted to go to a spin class this morning, and I totally read the wrong schedule online. I posted more on my Snapchat this morning (carly.haslee).
Do you have any favorite workout classes? Happy to hear any suggestions.
Hope you all have a great weekend!